Monday, April 09, 2012

wild garlic mustard pesto - edible weeds

this blog is part of Real Food Wednesdays
I was introduced to wild edible plants by my sister in law years ago, but only in the past year or so have I ventured out into the wild around my yard to enjoy them. What took me so long!? I do love gardening and planting in my raised beds, but I am really starting to love the fact that there are SO many wild greens around my garden beds that are healthy, happy, so yummy and take no work at all. You don't have to water them or take care of them in any way and they come back every year. Again, why did it take me so long to jump on this bandwagon???? I feel like there have been boxes of food placed on my door step every day for years and I haven't been able to see them. There is is much out there that I can hardly take a step without stepping on a meal. 

One of them that is everywhere right now and is a part of our dinner every night is Wild Garlic Mustard. I even made pesto out of it. It really tastes like garlic. yum! You can eat the leaves, the flowers and the roots, although I haven't tried the roots yet. The leaves are great for sauteing, in salad, soups, and in just about anything. 
Here is a great little video that shows you some other wild edibles you may have in your garden. Might save you a trip to the store and be so much more healthy and tasty. 
In this pesto I used wild garlic mustard, sesame seeds, Parmesan cheese, olive oil, lemon zest and salt. It has a very earthy deep flavor that is delicious. I put some on mini pizzas and froze the rest in ice cube trays then popped them into freezer bags for storage. 




3 comments:

patamathis said...

These look delicious. I love the pict of scout reaching for one.

patamathis said...

these look delicious. Love the pict. of Scout reaching for one.

Kim said...

YUM!!!